Friday, October 13, 2017

Kitchenaid Mixer Versus Sunbeam | Kitchen Aid Mixer Vs Other Mixer

So I recently started using a light weight mixer to shoot cooking videos in the studio. Only being used to a traditional Kitchen Aid mixer I was curious what the pros & cons were of this Sunbeam brand mixer. Without getting too lengthy in words, this is what I've found.




Using the Sunbeam mixer is most certainly not as high intensity as the KitchenAid. By far the KitchenAid has a superior whipping & dough kneading capacity. By far. For projects like make pizza dough, bread dough, or heavy yeast doughs, the KitchenAid wins, hands down.

When it comes to whipping (i.e. making marshmallows, whipped cream, egg whites, et cetera) the KitchenAid is superior in the sense that it will whip much smaller amounts. With the Sunbeam mixer I've found I need at least 2.5 cups of liquid to whip something where the KitchenAid will whip anything even as small as .5 a cup. The same goes for a hand mixer, whipping even the smallest amount is best with a hand mixer or a KitchenAid mixer.

Which brings me to my next thought, how often do you use a mixer? I am so used to making food in copious amounts for me, my friends, my family, & for catering. I forgot what it was like to make something in a small batch, & when I switched over to the Sunbeam my timing was off. I started shooting cooking videos making small batches of food, while the KitchenAid would have been best for these projects, I brought the Sunbeam because it was lightweight. The KitchenAid is very heavy in comparison. While at home the KitchenAid is great because it sits on the counter & I can use it about 4 or 5 times a week without an issue. However, if you are not using a mixer as often as I do you will probably keep it in a cabinet or closet somewhere. Moving the KitchenAid can be a b*&$h. The Sunbeam is incredibly easy to move, lift, travel with, et cetera. I do not recommend using a KitchenAid if you can not keep it on the counter.

Attachments were my last thought. The Sunbeam comes with two dough hooks & two traditional whip attachments (the same kind you would see on a hand mixer). The dough hooks of the Sunbeam are not nearly as heavy duty as the dough hook of the KitchenAid & the Sunbeam does not knead nearly as well as the KitchenAid. The whip attachment of the KitchenAid works much quicker than the Sunbeam, by far. The whisk attachment of the KitchenAid was my favorite new tool in the kitchen, this whisk attachment kicks some major butt. The 'Paddle' attachment of the KitchenAid does not come with the Sunbeam, & it was another favorite of mine. When making cookies, the KitchenAid 'Paddle' attachment is superior to the hooks of the Sunbeam. The 'Paddle' gets so close to the edges of the mixing bowl that when I cream the sugar & butter it comes out so light & fluffy; the Sunbeam does not even come close to the texture when creaming.

Does the Sunbeam work fine for the person only making pies for Thanksgiving every year, sure! It's lightweight, can be stored away without dreading having to pull it out of the cabinet or closet a couple of times each year. It will get most jobs done in a similar fashion to the KitchenAid. However, the KitchenAid whips, makes doughs, creams, gives beautiful texture to your baked goods in a way that the Sunbeam just can't.

Grab a KitchenAid during Black Friday deals if you can. They are usually about 30% off regular price. Mine has lasted 5 years so far & given me no issues, & I use it 4 or 5 times each week. With that thought, I don't ever want to move it around because it's so heavy in comparison.

That's my two cents on the Sunbeam vs the KitchenAid. Hope it helps!

Chicago Johnny
www.ChicagoJohnnys.com

No comments:

Post a Comment